Restlessly Still

Restlessly Still

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The "rules" of the "game"

I know that I have a few post about relationships and the fun of it, but some people think that relationships go wrong because of an outside force that is making them do horrible things to end it.  An example:
"I feel as though my subconscious is determined to ruin me. In the past, there has only been one person, ONE person, who I legitimately liked as much as I let on. He absolutely destroyed me. And I mean, absolutely. There was a song I couldn't listen to without crying for over a year afterwards. I wish I was kidding. See, the thing is, while he had his faults it was mostly me who pushed him to destroy me. Ironic, isn't it? It was one of those breakups where you're left sitting on the floor amongst the shattered pieces of the relationship, wondering what the heck went wrong. Well, I figured out the things I did that I wasn't proud of, and didn't like. And I vowed, there amongst the wreckage, that I would never make those same mistakes again. After all, I knew better, didn't I?  Well, I've been out of practice. There has been a random stream of guys coming into and out of my life, most of which were simply convenience. I hardly got emotionally attached, (save for one exception, but I digress), and it was me who did the heart-breaking when I simply couldn't stand their flaws any longer (except in that one case). It sounds unbelievably harsh, yes, but that's what I did. I'm not trying to justify my actions, or make you understand, I'm just trying to get all of this screaming nonsense out of my head. Why? Because there is this guy. This wonderful guy, whom I only seem to like more the more I learn about him.  I made it 2 months without reverting to the tactics I swore I wouldn't employ again.
See, I have this nasty habit of trying to manipulate and orchestrate conversations. If I am not getting the level of affection I'm craving, I try to weasel it out. Usually, that involves me cranking up the dial on my own affection in an attempt to bait them. Well, it doesn't work on guys who are actually worth being with. Surprise, surprise. So you end up making them uncomfortable and making them take even more space. It's counter intuitive, really. Well, I did. Again. Then I forced into the awkward, "be careful with your heart" conversation, which is basically guy code for "You're freaking my junk out. If you're gonna be like this all the time then maybe I need to rethink this."

The thing is that if you know that you do this and you do it to a person that you "truly" care for; then shouldn't you try to make an effort to stop playing petty games?  If you are afraid to lose someone because of the games you play, so it seems like the logical answer to this problem is that you don't really care for them.  If you love someone then you won't play these games...you would try everything to show them that you are good enough for them.

Every crush I had on I was always up front about my feelings, and I did get hurt because they started to act like jerks because saying they don't like me back was too much work.  But I still didn't fall into the playing games until a guy notice me.  It paid off for me at the end because I was honest with one of my crushes in high school; two years after high school we hung out more and one day he asked me to be his.  I didn't play any games at all.  We were both up front with each other and we are both very happy for 4 years and still going strong!

Word of Advice:  Everyone is done playing games.  Just be up front about your feelings.  If you have a problem like the example then maybe you should try to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment