Restlessly Still

Restlessly Still

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Leadership

It has been one month since I started back to work after being off for three months during summer vacation.  I have been working at the center for five years and started my first year as a lead teacher in the afternoons.  I co-teach with another teacher in the afternoons, so there is four of us total that work together; two lead teachers and two assistant teachers.  We seem to have a system to make the our classroom run smooth and it is working for us so far.  

Last Friday, one of the assistant teacher brought up a concern with another assistant teacher was doing.  I could have easily went to that teacher and talk to her about the concerns that were brought up.  But I figure that we would have a meeting, so no one would feel attack.  I talk to my Master Teacher about it and she agree that would have been the best thing to do.

Today we had our meeting once we got the children down for nap.  We talked about how that we need to focus on all the children and not just the ones that we favor.  We also talked about snack and that once it is done, it is done.  We discuss what we can do for a solution for the ones that wait last minute for snack.

I realized that after this meeting that I had with my staff, that I'm not just watching and observing with child, but also with adults.  I am doing everything as a master teacher with a few exceptions.  I didn't realize how much more responsibility placed on me.  In the past of everyday that I worked.  I always try to go for a supervisor position.  Back Wal-mart, I tried to be one because I was already doing the work of one, so might as well get the pay of one.  Because of the comment that it was "not woman's work" and not working with my school scheduled, so I left.

When I started working at the daycare center five years ago, I just focus on working with children.  I grew to wanting to plan activities for a classroom, and that lead to taking on more responsibilities.  This past summer I was interviewed for the master teacher position, but did not get it.  I'm glad that I didn't because the one that they did pick is a good choice.  But I did not walk away empty handed, and I was given the lead.  I took this opportunity and I'm running with it.

If I look back a few years ago when I was in high school, I can easily can say that I had nothing that makes a good leader.  When I graduated, I learn more about myself and that I realized that I was never a follower and how controlling I really am.  Taking on this position as an afternoon lead is bring new challenges that I need to help me grow more.  It also helps me work on excellent leadership skills and how to work with other adults.


Word of Advice:
 Sometimes new challenges can be overwhelming and rewarding at the same time!



No comments:

Post a Comment