Restlessly Still

Restlessly Still

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's day

Valentine's day is in a couple of days and I want to wish happy Valentine's day to my friends, my family, and my boyfriend.  Valentine's day is about love, and not just love for that one person that we want to sleep with, or to buy the gifts.  It is about love that you have for the people in your life!  I love my boyfriend very much, but he isn't the only person in my life.  I think people have a negative misleading thought about Valentine's day.  People think that they need to have a boyfriend/girlfriend to spend it with, but they don't.  It is about spending it with the people that you love. 

I have friends that I've known much longer than my boyfriend.  My friends have been there for me when I hit a big bump in the road in my life.  I turn to them when I can't turn to my family or my boyfriend.  My friends help me through school.  My friends help me get through work.  Either helping me get a job by being my reference, or helping me get the job done at work.  Lastly, they help keep me sane and always putting a smile on my face even when I'm feeling down.   I love my friends for everything they have done for me.

I love my family because they are the only people that knows me my entire life.  My family are the ones that taught me my morals and shaped me to the person that I am today.  Without them, I might be a horrible mean person that uses people to get what I want, sleep around with random guys and act like the victim.  Or I could be relying on a man to take care of me.  My family taught me to be independent, that I don't need anyone to take care of me, and push me to do great with my life.

I love my boyfriend.  I love that he can make me smile, he is my best friend, he keeps me grounded when I feel like my world is spiraling out of control.  I'm a control freak and if something isn't going the way I want it to then I freak out and panic.  My boyfriend helps calm me down and makes me relax.  Most importantly he sees beyond my imperfections and still choose to be with me. 

I agree that Valentine's day is commercialized and that love shouldn't be celebrated on one day out of the year (twice if  you count Christmas).  But I think it helps people to put away whatever feelings of hate and to love the people that they have around them.  When I see people complaining about couples on Valentine's day it does bug me.  Because they are too bitter to love the people that they have in their life because they think that it is about having someone to buy gifts for, or receiving gifts. 

At my work, we can't really teach the kids holidays, but we find loop-holes in everything, so all is good!  But around Valentine's day we do the hearts, the Valentine's day colors, but we also talk about friendship and the different types of love we have for each other. 


Word of advice:

Valentine's day is more than love for a person that is your significant other, but for the other people in your life!  It isn't a commercial holiday for couples to buy stuff, but a day to stop and be glad for the rest of the awesome people in our lives (Friends and family).  We need to change the way we look at this holiday!


No comments:

Post a Comment