Restlessly Still

Restlessly Still

Saturday, February 16, 2013

A story of Lord Fancy Feast

This is a blog my boyfriend wrote and He said I can share this:

I am 23, almost 24 years old, and I am fighting depression. Every day, I have to fight the lethargy, the negativity, the urge to give in to my myriad of failures and give up. I fight the intense need to simply try to drink myself into an early grave. I have to put up with constant reminders of everything wrong I've done, simply because I have failed so many things that my every action these days is filled with them. I go to school, and I am reminded that I should have finished two years ago,yet I still have two to go. I look at my girlfriend, and I see the pain I caused her. I look at pictures from my past and I remember all the friends I gained and kept, who treated me like garbage, and the friends I lost who were as close to true compatriots as one can find in this life. I say 'I wish I had stayed in boy scouts' knowing it was my choice to quit. And every minute is a struggle to not break down and cry, and drain a dozen bottles of liquor dry.
But I fight. Because my girlfriend, despite everything, still loves me. Because my education, despite my failures, is not complete. Because I choose to live better, and be better, I fight. I am not depressed. I am not an alcoholic. I do not abuse drugs, or cut myself, or entertain thoughts of suicide. I am not depressed by any of my failures, because I refuse to make them again, and I will live in spite of them.
Thses days, I drink socially, with friends. The only pain is the sting of bb's, or the dull burn of a good exercise. I do not gorge myself with food, but relish every bite. I livein spite of my failures, and I live better because of them.
Others have hard lives, and refuse to bow. I could do no less, knowing they have worse, and none of it self-inflicted.All my failings are just that, self-inflicted. I caused them to happen, with poor judgement or lack of information.
No, the part that depresses me now is I see a fellow, one of my few true companions that I am proud to call friend, making the same mistakes. Heading down a similar path. And there is nothing I can do for him, because I know he will not listen if I tell him forcefully, yet without force the message will never be made. And so I tread lightly, trying to let him know that his mistakes are my own, and to learn from mine, so he does not feel the same sting.
But I am not depressed. Nor will I ever be. And I thank God for that saving grace, and my stubborn nature.
Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that off my chest. It doesn't make much sense, looking back at it, I rambled too much. But it fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment