Restlessly Still

Restlessly Still

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Book Report: The Divergent Series

I have been reading the divergent series.  I finished book one a while ago, and I am currently working on the second book.  I am almost done with it and I will more and likely read the last book.  I find reading relaxing especially on a long work day.  I enjoyed the Hunger Games series, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, so on and so forth.  The Divergent series is an interesting series that I have read so far.  I enjoy it and hate it at the same time.

I have read many books in the past, but never to think to post my feelings on a blog about it.  But hey, why not?  I have been having mixed emotions about what I read so far.  This is completely my opinion, so if you loved it that is great and if you hated it then that is good too.

The two main characters are hard to stand.  The main character Beatrice, or as she is refer as Tris.  I get that wanting a new identity when going into a new fraction, but you can't come up with a better name.  To me it felt like the character is trying to be a bad ass with a pretty lousy one syllable nickname.  Through out the book, they play that she is truly selfless despite how she view her self.  Most of the book is about the love interest and being selfless for him.  Her parents died and there were a few ways she could have help.  She killed one of her friends that could have been spared.  But when it came to her boyfriend, she did everything her power to help him or snap him back to normal.  She also ruins every plan because she thinks she knows what it is best.  They play her as a special snowflake.  I was happy that there is more than two divergents in the book.  I do love when she did snap and screaming that she cannot be controlled.

The other character is Tobias, or Four.  He is the love interested and the high school girl's dream of the bad boy going good for that one lucky girl.  He comes off as a jerk and yet Tris keeps going after him.  They just met and they are already in love.  This romance is a little too Twilight for me.  They do not care for the fact that they only help either themselves, or the lover.  Rarely I read that they cared to help someone else.

I truly enjoy the concept, the minor characters, and the idea.  The hard part is the two main characters.  They are hard to like and that you do root for the other guy at times.  I hope that the third book gets better with both Tris and 4.

That is my book report so far on what I read.  Like I said before, you can agree with me or not, just remember that it is my own thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment